|Soft and moist Honey Cake|
Honey Cake, or Medovik, along with Sour Cake, was one of babushka's staples. It's a layered cake again. Sweet, moist and full of honey flavour.
The cream turned out differently to what I remember. But it's still lovely!
Makes about 15 portions plus cut offs for the cook
For the layers
200g of pouring honey
200g soft butter or margarine
160g caster sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
550g plain flour
(A pinch of salt if using unsalted butter)
For the cream:
300g soft butter
300g icing sugar
10-12 tbsps sour cream
1. Heat the oven to 200C.
2. Beat the butter/margarine with honey and sugar, gradually adding the eggs. Add a pinch of salt if using unsalted better or margarine. Add baking powder and flour.
You should end up with a dough, which is slightly softer than the shortcrust pastry type.
Chill for 20 min.
3. While the dough is chilling, make the cream. Beat the butter with icing sugar and sour cream till it resembles spreadable icing. It shouldn't be liquid enough to pour, but not firm at all.
4. Cut the baking paper into rectangles to fit your baking tray.
5. When the dough is chilled, divide it into 5 equal parts. Roll each into a ball.
6. Put a dough ball onto a baking paper rectangle and roll into a roughly oval layer about 5mm thick. Prick with a fork. Repeat with each part of the dough.
7. Bake each layer in the hot oven for about 5-7 min. Keep an eye on them, as they burn fast.
8. When the layers are ready, spread the cream on the first layer, then place the second one on top of the cream. Repeat with all layers, ending with cream on the very top.
9. Leave for a few hours, or better still overnight to infuse.