Friday 22 March 2013

Only 8 days to go till roasted leg of lamb

The closer I get to Easter the more I struggle with having no meat in the diet. And it's not even the lack of flesh itself, it's the lack of cooking knowledge. What I found most challenging is having to look for things to cook. B/c I never really lived a fully meat free life, I do not have a mental glossary of meat free cooking ideas. So every week I have to look at recipe books and plan from scratch. I don't have an intuitive knowledge of what I can cook next.

I also have to confess, while lots of vegetarian food (apart from Indian curries) make a perfectly good lunch time meal, I really struggle with veg dishes for dinner. For me they lack the main focus.

Take this lovey recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (given to me by uncle Vic), it makes a lovely lunch, a good side dish, but it lacks a slice of meat/sausage to make a good dinner dish.

Roasted Squash with shallots and Merguez chickpeas


Here is the recipe from Channel 4 cooking pages.

(I now see that I should have served it with cous cous - that may have helped)

So yum, but before 4pm!

The good news is that I still have 8 days and hopefully I will discover more yummy dishes to try. And then, then it's Easter and Tim's slow cooking a leg of lamb!

No comments:

Post a Comment