Sunday 17 March 2013

Oriental fish - success at last

I haven't been having much luck with fish recently. But yesterday Tim finally cooked something yummy - almost dinner supper party yummy. Oriental ramen type fish.

Tim's Oriental Salmon


1 pint of miso soup from a packet (Tim used 1 sachet for about 500-600ml of water)
Jazzed up with some soy and fish sauces
4 cloves of garlic crushed
2-3cm of ginger peeled and grated

Heat all of the above and poach some salmon in that. Take salmon out, add juice and zest of 1 lime - and keep it warm.

Meanwhile stir-fry some veg in a wok (Tim used Sainsbury's pre-packed stir fry mix with Chinese cabbage, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, some greens, fresh pepper). When ready add fresh rice noodles, then add the miso stock and salmon. It should be a bit soupy.

It is absolutely delish!

He thought there would be enough for today too, but we wolved it all.

So today, while I was selling some stuff at the local NCT sale and sampling some Polish cakes, Tim made penne with red and white sauce and croutons. Which was a big success, polished off with trickle pudding.

Our plan for the week is to have some Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's roasted squash and shallots with merguz chickpeas (thank you Uncle Vic for the recipe) as well as some penne with a slightly dull red sauce. I say dull, b/c this is our - not sure what to cook - lets make red sauce - recipe, which I ate too many times. But hey-ho!

Tim is not too keen on the squash, while I am really looking forward to it - love squash. I did remind him that our meat free Lent was all part of a challenge to open our non-meaty culinary horizons. So he had to agree to give it a go.

Will tell you whether it works.

I would also like to thank everyone who sent me recipes in reply to my recent culinary disasters! It looks like I encouraged yout o eat more fish and veg too! Especial thank you to Vilena and Minal and uncle Vic too!

No comments:

Post a Comment